Welcome to the American Council of Engineering Companies of Florida (ACEC-FL)
August 2020 - Message From the President
Shahin Hekmat, PE
2020-2021 ACEC-FL President
I am humbled to be given the opportunity to serve the members of ACEC of Florida as your president. The list of our pastpresidents is long and diverse and having to live up to the high standard set in the past is daunting. Having taken
the oath toserve, I promise to work hard to meet that challenge. I would like to start by thanking past-president William Wilson, P.E. for his calm demeanor in the face of the pandemic these last few months. I know it is going to be
difficult to make decisions on how to move forward without a clear idea of how long we as an organization must deal with the uncertainties of COVID-19. However, I have the utmost confidence in our Board, our Executive Director, and
his dedicated staff to help us move forward and make the best decisions possible.
It has been a while since we gathered as a group, the last time being Legislative Days inTallahassee. As an introvert (!), I am struggling with not being able to spend quality time with friends and colleagues. It is my hope we will have our November Board
meeting in Tampa, be able to bump fists, and have a drink together again. Six feet apart, of course!
On the national front, it was announced on August 6 th that the 2020 ACEC Fall Conference, scheduled for October 28-30, will be taking place virtually. The
good news is that more people will have the opportunity to attend and learn about the work ACEC does across the U.S. Unfortunately, we are going to miss out on visiting a great location, San Diego. ACEC National has continued to be
a resource for Member Firms during this crisis, if you have not visited their webpage at www.acec.org, I highly recommend it.
On August 5th the ACEC-FL Board met virtually, and the new officers and committeechairs were sworn in. Following are highlights from the meeting:
- Funding was approved to make the Don Ditzenberger Historical Museum a reality. If any members have items to donate, please reach out to our staff in Tallahassee or contact me directly.
- FELI is accepting applications for 2020-2021 session expected to start in November. Please visit our webpage (www.fleng.org)
if you are interested in registering for the program. I graduated from the third class in 2006 and will fondly remember the experience for the rest of my life.
- All our committees presented their goals for the upcoming year and have begun ramping up their activities. If you are not on a committee, please consider participating; I would be more than happy to help get you started. Additionally, I recommend
encouraging your young engineers to get involved, our future depends on their successes.
- The Finance Committee’s recommended investment policy for our reserve funds was approved.
- The Strategic Plan Task Force continues its work reviewing our plan, which is 12 years old. Recommendations will be made to the Board early next year.
- The Board of Directors nominated Charlie Geer, P.E. and Peter Moore, P.E. to the ACEC National College of Fellows.
Finally, I would like to direct you to our webpage www.fleng.org.
If you are not yetregistered, please sign in, set up a profile, and begin using the available resources. If youalready have a
profile, please review and update it so you can keep in touch with yourfellow engineers. I would also like to draw your attention to our ongoing campaign to raiseawareness of the Professional Engineer’s role in society. It is up to each of us to preachour
motto: “Engineers: Behind the Everyday and the Extraordinary”. A statement that is astrue today as it has ever been.Thank you for your continued support. I look forward to meeting all of you face-to-faceagain soon. Take care and be safe in these challenging
To view all of ACEC-FL Update continue reading here.
You asked for it...We listened!
Join FES|ACEC-FL for these essential webinars.
When: Wednesday, October 21, 2020
Time: 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
When: Thursday, November 5, 2020
Time: 10:00AM - 12:00 PM