2019 MATHCOUNTS Competition
March 22, 2019
Orlando Airport Marriott Lakeside
7499 Augusta National Dr, Orlando, FL 32822
- The MATHCOUNTS Competition Series
- National Math Club
- Math Video Challenge
What is MATHCOUNTS?
MATHCOUNTS is providing today’s students with the foundation for success in science, technology, engineering and mathematics careers. MATHCOUNTS is a national enrichment, club and competition program that promotes middle school mathematics achievement through grassroots involvement in every U.S. state and territory.
MATHCOUNTS is one of the country's largest and most successful education partnerships involving volunteers, educators, industry sponsors and students. Former Presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush, William J. Clinton, George H.W. Bush and Ronald W. Reagan have all recognized MATHCOUNTS in White House ceremonies. MATHCOUNTS inspires excellence, confidence and curiosity in U.S. middle school students through fun and challenging math programs. The MATHCOUNTS program has received two White House citations as an outstanding private sector initiative.
MATHCOUNTS programs involve students and teachers in year-long coaching sessions and help middle school students at all learning levels improve their problem-solving skills. Materials are currently distributed to every middle school in the U.S., impacting the lives of over 250,000 U.S. middle school students annually.
How is FES Involved in MATHCOUNTS?
The Florida Engineering Society (FES) is proud to have sponsored Florida MATHCOUNTS since it's origination in 1983. In Florida, participating middle schools compete individually or as part of a team in one of nineteen FES Chapter MATHCOUNTS Competitions held in February. The size of the chapter competitions are steadily increasing as FES strives to make it more exciting and fun, and include greater numbers of students than the previous year.
FES Chapters in turn send their winning teams and individuals to the state competition held in Orlando in March. Mathletes® compete to advance to the National MATHCOUNTS Competition, typically held in May of each year. All Mathletes® must be in the 6th, 7th, or 8th grade, and have typically been coached for several months by their middle school within their daily curriculum and/or on personal time. Each competition includes both written and oral math testing on a very high level. At the State Competition, FES awards top teams and individuals with trophies, scholarships, and cash, coordinates special guest speakers and volunteers, takes all participants to an Orlando Magic game, where the top four individuals are recognized on center court at half time. The top four individuals go one to represent Florida, on an all-expense-paid trip, to the National MATHCOUNTS Competition. This winning state team also participates in two FES-sponsored retreats in preparation for the national event. All of this would not be possible without the support of the generous sponsors and volunteers.
MATHCOUNTS Works Because It:
- Motivates and rewards students by fostering team problem solving and competitive spirit;
- Is more than a competition. It involves students and teachers in year long coaching sessions and helps students at varied skill levels;
- Builds math skills, promotes strategic problem solving and challenges students to sharpen their analytical abilities;
- Gives America's sixth, seventh and eighth grade math teachers incentive to excel in the classroom and provides state of the art materials to enhance education in the classroom;
- Stimulates student interest in math by introducing students to math related careers through contacts with engineers and other program volunteers;
- Is educator-driven. Materials and activities are structured to meet student needs identified by educators and are written each year by members of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics in keeping with the NCTM curriculum standards.
If you have any questions about the Florida MATHCOUNTS program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.